Friday, September 30, 2016

Mindsets and Music: My #IMMOOC Response, Week 2

My #IMMOOC Response, Week 2 for George Couros's book "The Innovator's Mindset"

Hey you.  Yeah you.....  What's your learner's mindset?  Do you think you can only learn how to do something if you were born with that talent?  -OR-   Do you believe you can learn how to do anything you set mind to if you work hard to accomplish it?  -OR-  Do you not only believe you can learn and grow, but that you have the ability to create something new and better?

Let's break it down, folks... and yes, of course, you know me....we are going to tie this to my favorite subject in the world: music.

As a music teacher, I am thrilled to see George Couros did just that.  On pg. 33, of his book "The Innovator's Mindset" he uses a "playing-the-piano" example to describe 3 different mindsets learners have.  So happy :)
  • With a fixed mindset, a person might not think they can play the piano.  
  • With a growth mindset, they believe that with hard work and practice, they can learn to play.
BUT... (insert drum roll here.....)
  • With an INNOVATOR'S MINDSET, not only do they think they can learn how to play the piano, they believe they can create something new and better, or in other words compose their own music on the piano.

As a music teacher, my friends sometimes confess their deepest, darkest, musical secrets to me.

"My choir teacher asked me to lip sync at our concert" 
"I got kicked out of chorus in 2nd grade because I wouldn't stop talking...my mom was told to pick me up and never bring me back"  :/
"I fake-played my recorder at my elementary concert because I didn't remember how to do it" ;)  
"My kids tell me not to sing at bedtime or in public because I sound soooo horrible" 
"My dog used to hide when I played the trumpet"

OUCH!!! 

These tragic musical tales always begin with "I'm a terrible musician" or "I don't know anything about music,"  Then... I get the gory, grim details.  But, what if these events that shaped my friends' thoughts about their musical ability could have been changed with a shift in mindset and a touch of encouragement?  

As teachers, I believe WE can be a big part of the mind-shifting process!  

First, let's help them transform those fixed mindsets into growth mindsets!  We (teachers) need to be constant cheerleaders of student learning.  Kids need to be told (all the time) that we KNOW they can do it.  We BELIEVE in them!  They've GOT THIS!  Encourage, Encourage until they have the courage to make a learning-leap-of-faith.  

But Couros pushes us in his book to not stop there.  Don't just learn how to do something that others already can do.  Learn to create.  Innovate.  Be the kind of person that can make something new and better.   Have an innovator's mindset!

Back to music for a sec....When we think of the greatest musical performers and composers of all time, the biggest reason they became influential was because of their innovative musical contributions, right?! Well, then, let's tell kids that this is the kind of thinking that is going to bring them the satisfaction they truly deserve.  Let's tell them that they have the power to change the world and be creative geniuses!

I have a message for all of my friends that have carried these tragic tales all their lives: (My sad story, by the way, is from elem. P.E., sniff sniff)...

---->  First of all, I'm really sorry 'bout the bad stuff that happened to you when you were in school. (hugs) I STILL believe you can do it.  You can still be the next Mozart.  You've got this.  It is time to warm up your signing voice, dust off your old recorder and warn the kids and dog.  It is not too late.  You'll be great.  :)


5 comments:

  1. Making music is making meaning. How do you envision music education in the innovative world?
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question! Learning about music tech is a must, for sure. Exposing them to digital music is important along working with online composing sites. I have several linked to my "favorite sites" page. They LOVE "Chrome Music Lab". Teaching them to how record and upload our music to share is huge as well.

      Delete
    2. I love your encouragement of those who are, what one of my profs used to call "The musically wounded". Those moments hurt deeply and obviously stick with people for decades! I love the way you are coaching people to use the Innovators mindset in music.

      Delete
  2. You are an awesome writer...I appreciate the connections you have made to music through this book. I am proud to have written a book that I believe is connected to all grade levels and subjects, and you have emphasized this. Keep inspiring the next and current generation of musicians!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for your kind words! This class and book have created a wonderful opportunity for reflection about our practice as educators. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete